If you have a router, it gets quite important for one to keep updating its firmware regularly. Just make it a habit and make sure whenever you are doing it you are having the strongest signals, optimal performance, and enhanced security. Consistent updates are the perfect way to extract the best out of your router. Router firmware is just like a gateway that provides absolute security to your WiFi and other devices from hackers.
How to Update Router Firmware?
An updated router perfectly blocks the new threats and keeps all of your access safe. For those who don’t know how to update their router firmware, we have brought up a descriptive and easiest guide. Make sure to follow the procedure given very carefully so that removes the chances of making any mistakes. You have to do two things here and these are:
- Finding up your Router’s Address
- Installing Router Updates
Finding up your Router’s Address:
The procedure for finding up the Windows and Mac Router’s address is not the same.
How to find Windows Router’s Address?
One can easily get access over their router services just by using their IP address. The IP address of the router and its password is usually printed on the sticker applied to the router at its bottom. If you have accidentally removed it or are failing to find it, you can easily get the same by:
- Launch your Router and then to the Start Menu. Or you can even type “Network Status” in the search bar also.
- A View Network Status and Tasks window will open up on your home screen.
- Add the name of your current connection and once done, add Details button in the new window.
- The IP address of your Windows router will appear on your home screen.
How to find Mac’s Router’s Address?
The things you have to do for finding up the Mac’s Router’s Address are:
- Launch your Mac’s Router and then go to the Apple menu option.
- Select the “System Preferences” option from there and that will further lead you to the opening of System Preferences Window.
- Tap on the “Network” button and once done select your active connection from the provided options. If you have forgotten which one is your active connection, you can easily recognize it through the green indicator available next to it.
- Make sure that you have connected your device with your router only.
- Tap on the “Advanced” button followed by tapping on the “TCP/IP”.
- Once done with the above process, just check out the “Router” entry for finding your IP address of the router.
Install Router Updates:
Updating router firmware is not a difficult task. Consistent updates add on strength up the security of your network access. The things you have to follow on here are:
- Open up your router and then connect it to your computer system through Ethernet. It will help you in getting perfect access over the configuration tools.
- You will be now asked to enter your router’s IP address into the web browser’s address bar. Just make sure to add it very carefully.
- Once done, add your login information in the provided columns very carefully.
- Once you have done with it, now open up “Firmware” Or “Router Upgrade” or “Update” page on your computer system. The name of the updating page usually differs a lot as per router manufacturers’ brands. So, check out your one’s and then proceed further with the process. The location where these options also vary from Administration, Utilities, or Maintenance as per router’s manufacturers.
- On the successful completion of the above process, now make a tap on the “Check” button, and once done check whether any updates are available there or not.
- Next, download the updated firmware files on your computer system. If no link has been provided to you, you can visit the manufacturer’s support site and then can find the related one there.
- Once you have done with it, next you have to enter your router’s model into the provided space. The router model number can be easily extracted from the top of the configuration page.
- Next, search for the latest firmware files. These files are usually downloaded in the ZIP format.
- Once you have successfully done with the downloading process of the firmware files, make a double click on the downloaded ZIP files for opening it up.
- Tap on the “Extract” button for extracting up the contents from these files.
- Next, make a tap on the “Choose File” option and once done navigate towards the newly extracted files.
- Select the newly extracted files and then tap on the “Upload” button from the router configuration page for uploading your files to the router.
- It will take some time to update the router’s firmware. Keep on checking the progress bar and once done, your router will reset and will get disconnected from your network for fewer seconds.
- If your firmware update doesn’t work properly, you can reset your router setting and have to initiate the same process again
Is it safe to update the router’s firmware?
Yes, absolutely. Router’s update process puts a greater impact on the router’s performance and its security. It is the best thing one could do for keeping their internet access safe throughout. We recommend you keep on updating the router’s firmware consistently for enjoying seamless access over the wide world of the internet. You can even flash your router’s setting for resetting them to default for enjoying seamless access.
Like other software options, your router’s firmware also needed to be updated regularly. An updated router ensures users to have strong signals and faster internet connections. Regular updates keep your internet access safe. It is the best thing one could do for keeping safe from the prying eyes of the hackers. Updating the router’s firmware is not a big deal. One just has to follow up a very few steps for enabling a successful deal. The only thing you have to work on is for finding up the router’s IP address and once done, you can simply update the firmware files without any hassle.